You’re ready to buy that Chanel bag. You know exactly what you want, what style, what color. Your friends and family notice how beautiful you look with it? You know which store treats you the best when you walk in it. Your approach to seeking that perfect cosmetic eyelid lift, that blepharoplasty, that eyelid bag removal is no different. Yet people spend more time and effort researching the bag than the bags under your eyes. You must do your research in choosing and trusting the best surgeon for the job. So many plastic surgeons to choose from. Here’s the skinny:
- Make sure the surgeon is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery, Oral Maxillofacial, Ear Nose Throat, Ophthalmology or Cosmetic Surgery.
- Make sure the surgeon has completed additional fellowship training in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the eyes (oculofacial plastic surgery).
- Make sure the surgeon has been practicing long enough with many surgeries under his or her belt.
- Make sure the surgeon has had experience in handling complications in cosmetic eyelid surgery.
- Make sure you have access to the surgeon’s website.
There are many different types of procedures to accomplish your needs. If you are not absolutely clear on the procedure type your surgeon is recommending, you need to find someone else. If you are not told of the risks, complications and benefits of your procedure, run the other way. Remember there are no “quick fixes.” No plastic surgery goes without risks. You have to weigh the risks and the benefits to see if this fits your needs and that you are willing to take on the risks. The different techniques in cosmetic eyelid blepharoplasty can be tailored to your eyes under the right surgeon.
- Incisional Blepharoplasty
- Laser Blepharoplasty
- Electro cautery Blepharoplasty
- Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty
- Pinch Blepharoplasty
- Fat transposition Blepharoplasty
- Fat transfer to eyelids
- Filler augmentation around eyes
THE PATIENT – YOU
You must be ready to dive into the world of plastic surgery and be primed mentally and physically. Realistic expectations must be discussed with the surgeon. No loose ends. The emotional brain is two dozens time more powerful than the logical brain. You should develop an emotional connection with the place, surgeon, procedure and ambience. Its an investment which should give you a 20 times return, but only if you fully understand the whole package.
- Be realistic
- Know what makes you happy physically, mentally and emotionally
- Know your goals in undergoing cosmetic blepharoplasty
- Be ready to jump back in the operating room if a touch up is needed
- Don’t have any uncertainty with the package
- Trust your instincts